I’m a big believer in relationships. I don’t
often encounter couples for whom I think the outlook is hopeless. Granted, some
relationships are bad for both parties. What attracts people to one another can
be the very defenses that hold them back in life—for instance, the shy,
indecisive person who chooses a loud, dominant partner. Often in this dynamic,
the couple becomes polarized—the shy person retreats further, becoming more
invisible in his or her life, while the more assertive partner takes control and directs their lives.
However, just rejecting your partner does not solve the underlying issue, for
either of you. Facing and challenging the defenses that lead you to choose the
partners you do is the important task to breaking this pattern.
Changing how you interact with your partner—for
instance, speaking up more if you are the “quiet one,” will begin to shift the
dynamics of your relationship. I have long believed that the best setting for
developing relationship skills and breaking defenses against love is in the
context of a close interpersonal relationship. If you just abandon ship or jump
in to a new relationship, you never learn a different style of relating. So,
for all those couples that were once blissfully happy and genuinely drawn to
each other based on real qualities they each possessed, I truly believe that
where there is a will, there is a way. If people are willing to challenge
themselves and overcome their defenses, they can learn to create a happy,
satisfying, long-term relationship with their chosen partner.
Now, with all that said, of course there are
some relationships that just don’t work. Some people actually have a toxic
effect on each other, in which the mental health of the individuals involved deteriorates. How
can you tell when it’s time to move on? Certainly, the answer is unique to your
relationship. But there are some red flags to look out for—most importantly,
those that indicate that you or your partner are experiencing an increase in
psychological symptoms or a degradation in your ability to function. These would
be signs that it may be time to call it quits or, at least, seek counseling or
outside help.
Ask yourself these
evaluation questions:
1. Is my relationship negatively affecting other
areas of my life?
2. Do I feel upset and fragmented a lot of the
time?
3. Am I too distracted by my relationship to
function in healthy ways?
4. Do I rarely feel like myself anymore?
5. Am I anxious or desperate toward my relationship
partner?
6. Do I feel like there is something wrong with me
that I am frantic to fix?
7. Has my relationship impacted or hurt my
friendships?
8. Has it affected the way I parent (i.e. I’m distracted from caring for my children
or too reliant on them to meet my needs?)
9. Do I feel chronically ashamed of myself?
10.
Do I feel down or
hopeless about my life most of the time?
If you or your partner is experiencing these
levels of psychological distress, it is important to seek help. The two of you
might benefit from a separation or even the termination of your relationship.
You may have formed a destructive fantasy bond, an illusion of fusion,
within which the psychological wellness of both you and your partner is
deteriorating.
Another important thing to ask yourself is, “How
am I interacting with my partner most of the time?” Dr. John Gottman, one
of the leading researchers on relationships, has spent 25 years observing
couples’ interactions. By observing couples in a “love lab,” he found that he
could predict with 94% accuracy which would divorce.
According to happy couples experience a 20-to-1 ratio of positive to
negative interactions. Conflicted couples experience a rate of 5-to-1, while
soon-to-divorce couples are at a .8-to-1.
With these numbers in mind, it’s no wonder that
Gottman’s research showed that the most common reason couples split
after five-to-seven years is because of high conflict levels. For couples that
separate after 10-to-12 years, the breakup is usually due to loss of intimacy.
If your interactions with your partner are predominantly negative, it’s time to
look at your behavior more closely.
four most toxic
behaviors between couples according to Gottman:
1. Criticism: Are you blaming or attacking your partner?
2. Defensiveness: Are you closed off to feedback from your
partner?
3. Contempt: Are you rolling your eyes, mocking or pushing
your partner away?
4. Stonewalling: Are you shut down in your interactions with
your partner? Is your underlying tone and body language stand
of fish or withdrawn?
These four behaviors are all characteristics of
relating in "a fantasy
bond " as delineated in couples interaction chart, which
contrasts relating in an ideal relationship to relating in a fantasy bond.
Before you panic:
Everyone typically engages in some of these behaviors some of the time. We are
human. We are flawed. And most of us, to varying degrees, are actually
intolerant or afraid of love. As you investigate your relationship, it is
important to have what Dr. Daniel Siegel refers to as a COAL attitude toward yourself—and your partner, for
that matter. COAL stands for curious, open, accepting, and loving. Even if you and your partner decide to go your
separate ways, this is a healthy and helpful attitude for you to maintain.
You can start to ask
yourself the following questions:
·
Do I act critical,
defensive, contemptuous or stonewalling toward my partner a majority of the
time?
·
After I mistreat my
partner in these ways, do I feel remorseful or righteous?
It may surprise you that, based on his research,
Gottman dismisses communication problems, gender differences, and infidelity as the biggest predictors of divorce. The truth
is: You may be better off evaluating the above issues if you want to assess
where you’re at in your relationship. If you answered “yes” to a lot of the
above questions, it may be time for a serious change.
As I said at the beginning of this post, I
believe in a person’s ability to challenge negative traits and behaviors in
themselves. We all have psychological defenses that protect us against
real love and closeness, and most of us select partners who fit with these
defenses. The solution isn’t necessarily to move on and find someone else,
because, since we take our defenses with us, they will lead to the same
troubles in a new relationship. To challenge and change our defenses is work we
alone have to do, and a relationship is a great place to do it, especially when
the payoff is the joy we get to experience in being loving and vulnerable to
another person. Nevertheless, the person you’re with may not be this person.
Relationships will never be seamless or entirely
easy. There will always be struggles and stresses at one point or another. Yet,
when all you’re doing in your relationship is struggling and stressing, there
may be someone out there with whom things will be simpler, someone who will be
more accepting and loving toward you. You don’t need to dismiss your partner
100% at first, but maybe take a break and see how it feels.
Breaking up is hard, but sometimes it is what’s
best for both people. Every individual is born deserving of love; and real and
lasting love is possible for the long haul if we let down our defenses and
allow ourselves to be loved
No comments:
Post a Comment